Thursday 21 August 2014

Wait, Why Am I Still On Facebook?

So I am 25, and I have been a member of Facebook since February 10, 2007. A strong eight years of patronage so far and I don’t see myself getting off the social media juice anytime soon. I recently read an article on why a person quit Facebook. An excellent read, and it got me thinking, why am I staying?
First and foremost I will say that there are some contacts that I am rightfully aware that I will never see person to person and that is okay. However, call it nosey, but I am interested in their lives and what they are doing. I can honestly say that I don’t really have any desire to go to my quickly approaching 10 year high school reunion because I have a better way into insight of your past 10 years than what you can tell me face to face in a two minute self-indulgent and rehearsed speech. Don’t get me wrong, I strongly value face to face interactions as it’s becoming less and less frequent in society. However, if I’m not interested in the conversation, I can’t say to your face that my Wi-Fi cut out and end the interaction. Not that I would, to most.
I will say that as I peruse through the past eight years of internet information disclosure I can see my evolution not only as a person, but what I want and how I use Facebook as a tool.
It starts with the, now quite embarrassing, test-like status’ saying things along the lines of, “I’m hung-over” or “I’m out golfing”. Oh the profundity of the 19 year old version of me and the naiveté of who I am sending these messages out to.
Only later do I find myself engaging in more proactive dealings such as creating study groups in university, asking questions to my network of connections, and expressing viewpoints on topics. Not until being in my most recent working position have I consciously assembled my online brand. I now make an effort to be constructive with almost everything I post on any social media. On what I call the big three (Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.), I strive to create a type of online synergy. All three convey different tones to different types of connections, but I try to show consistency.
For me, I want this because in my last job, we were encouraged to utilise social media. Being that it was a financial institution, it was quite regimented with compliance. However, the underlining factor that I took away from it was consistency. You wouldn’t advertise one rate on one media site, only to conflict it with another on a different site. The same goes for your personal message as a brand.
This became an almost philosophical question to myself when it came to making the switch in becoming a serious social media presence rather than just another contact on someone’s list. I really started thinking about my values, and what I support. I want to be an advocate to those positions I have because I know that even if it is a total of 1500 people that can hear my digital call, it is still much more than what I can assemble to listen to my opinions if I just yelled them outside my front door.
So I have since put it to action. I see myself as a digital entity, whereby my reputation by means of what I post and who hears it, is a more calculated and directed process. And to be honest, I have never felt more efficient in my posting until now, however that may be a small bout of obsessive compulsiveness.
So now when I ask myself, why do I stay on social media? I have a much stronger answer than years past. Almost like a corporate mission statement to myself,
I am on social media to convey information that highlights and upholds my personal brand. I am not here to spam or discourage, but to entice and encourage my contacts to be ever more interested in the things I believe. I am here to promote but not push my opinions, and I will make an effort to be as compatible with as many people as I can by not limiting myself to just one platform.”

And that, is why I am still on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment